With our stressful lives, you may be looking into ways to help alleviate that stress and find relaxation no matter where you are. Meditation is a fairly simple, cheap, and concise way to find some peace in your daily life. Meditation can be done just about anywhere, even in a crowded and noisy place, once you master the easy to learn techniques.
There are many ways you can learn to meditate, including books, websites and classes. Most meditation techniques use breathing and various postures (positions) which are easy to learn. Reading up on the various techniques will help you learn how to meditate, but the best way to learn to meditate is simply to try. Set aside a small amount of time each day, even just ten minutes, to meditate and soon your stress levels will decrease.
Benefits of meditation include:
- Decreased stress
- Decreased depression and anxiety
- Decreased stress on the heart and metabolic rate
- Decreased blood pressure
- Reduction of free radicals (free radicals cause cancer among other things)
- Lower cholesterol
- Improved flow of air in the lungs
- Increased energy
- Increased relaxation
- Increased creativity
- Increased happiness
- Increased memory
- Increased emotional stability
For more information about benefits of meditation please see the Benefits of Meditation link.
- To learn more about meditation, start by going to the website, Learning Meditation (link included). This website takes you through ways to learn how to relax. It even has a recommended reading page, and a shop that features CDs that might help you learn to meditate.
- If you want to teach your children how to meditate, read Meditating With Children: The Art of Concentration and Centering: A Workbook on New Educational Methods Using Meditation by Deborah Rozman. This is a workbook that teaches children how to meditate. It teaches children how to concentrate and 'center' themselves.
- Read How to Meditate: A Guide to Self-Discovery by Lawrence LeShan. This book explains why meditation is important and how it can help you. It goes through simple instructions so you can learn how to meditate. It deals with one of the biggest obstacles of learning to meditate--the discovery that our minds are very undisciplined and chaotic. It is a great beginning book for people who really haven't done too much meditation in the past, but want to add it to their lives.
- Read Learn to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Self-Discovery and Fulfillment by David Fontana. This is a practical book that teaches how to meditate. It is a great introductory book for people just starting to meditate and looking for clear exercises they can follow.
- Go to the website, Meditate (link included). This website takes you through reasons to meditate, breathing techniques, how to meditate while resting and how to heal yourself. The author believes that meditation works best when done while listening to the CDs sold on this site.
- Check out Meditation is Easy (link included). This website simplifies meditation and emphasizes the importance and ease of it. It includes a great article on what meditation is not. It also takes you through the importance of healthful eating and a healthful lifestyle.
- Learning Meditation
- Meditation is Easy
- Benefits of Meditation