Scientific illustration is the term used to define illustrations that depict objects in a scientific manner. These types of drawings are usually done in pencil, but they can also be done with paintbrushes. Every detail of the object is drawn and sometimes, even cutaways of the objects are drawn. Objects that are drawn using scientific illustration are usually animals, nature and organs of humans. This can be a little gruesome, especially if it is as detailed as the real thing.
Here are some tips on how to make a scientific illustration of your surroundings:
- Be Observant. When you are looking at your surroundings, you have to be observant and take note of the details of the object. You can associate certain words with it so that it can help you picture the object in your mind and it will be easier for you to draw its detailed version. Take note of the texture, the color, the height and more. The more details you see of the object, the easier it will be for you to make a scientific illustration.
- Realistic. In order for you to have a good scientific illustration, it must appear to be as realistic as possible. Draw the object just as you see it. When doing a scientific illustration, you must remember that the little parts or details of the object are big factors. The little details are what make a scientific drawing look so real. How realistic your drawing is going to appear depends on how accurate your drawing is.
- Outline. You can start your scientific illustration by drawing an outline of the object and filling it up with the details of the object. This way, you have a base point when you are starting to draw the details. It is good to have basic drawing skills if you want to be a good scientific illustrator.
- Practice. Being able to draw excellent scientific illustrations takes a lot of time. All you have to do is to practice and you will eventually get better. If you already have experience with illustration software, then this can be easy for you. You can take online courses or enroll in illustration courses so that you can enhance your skills. A scientific illustrator is a high paying job, but drawing a single object can take a lot of time.
- Jobs. If you want to make scientific illustration as a career, you have to have the skill and the patience. You will be able to work in universities, art institutes, research facilities or in magazines. Other people who are in the medical field and are good in drawing also shift to this career. If you have skills in making clip art, or in creating graphics, you may find scientific illustration a fun activity. You can transfer your illustrations to the computer and make it available as a digital print. These can be used as stock images. These stock images can be purchased by publishers.
These are some of the tips that you can use when you want to create a scientific illustration of your surroundings. If you have experience in any form of art, such as logo design or web design, you can also try your skills in scientific illustration.